Re: DIRECT=Y with EXP

From: Knut Talman <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:28:25 GMT

Richard Foote wrote:

> Hi Epicentre team A,
>
> In my little tiny weeny opinion, the default does actually make sense. Why,
> because a conventional import is pretty well guaranteed to work (all things
> being equal) whereas the direct path method may not. You have issues if the
> client side character set doesn't match the server side or in some earlier
> versions if tables contained objects and LOBs and the such (now not so much
> an issue). BUT because there could be issues with it, it does kinda make
> sense to have a default that has a better default chance of working.
>
> Then again, I could be wrong ...)

Full ACK, I saw some 8.1.7 installations (on Linux) where a DIRECT=Y export was much, much faster (of course) but the export dump was useless. We examined a lot of parameters but imp always refused to use the dump files (and it was no character set problem). A DIRECT=N dump was no problem.

Regards,

Knut Received on Wed Jul 31 2002 - 07:28:25 CDT