Re: set a rollback segment for a specific user

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 21:27:28 +1000

"Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3D46ABB1.A380A16_at_exesolutions.com...
> I agree. I have received value for my time at Oracle Education. But you
are
> correct that it is oriented toward the novice and is actually too
expensive if
> the intention is to sell the product. I think, however, Oracle Ed is set
up as
> its own profit center rather than set up as a means of pumping out more
> developers and DBAs that will recommend buying Oracle's products.
>
> The weakness I observed were as follows:
> 1. Too much reliance on PowerPoint slides

That's a bad trainer, not bad training per se. Actually, that's a dreadful trainer, and they should be chased out of the profession (but, sadly, rarely are).

> 2. Too little actual hands-on

That's a lecture, not a training course then. Same issue as above: a bad trainer.

> 3. The instructors had little, if any, real-world experience with the
products.

Er, see above!

> They knew the material they were teaching well but often could not relate
it to
> business problems

I'll buy that as a legitimate criticism of Oracle training in general: you can get lucky and find trainers who have done the real world in the past, but their real world experience then gets progressively more and more out of date. It would be good if OU could institute 'sabbaticals', where trainers spent a few weeks every few months in Premium Services or something similar getting their hands dirty again. But that's expensive (it means you lose a trainer and his income-generating capabilities for a few weeks every few months), so it's a bit of a non-starter (at least in Aus-land). Net result is that you end up being correct on this point.

> 4. The presenters never made mistakes that required debugging. Leaving
students
> with little ability to handle syntactic and logical errors.

Now I can't work out whether you had bad trainers or good ones! This one sounds like superman!! I'm forever making mistakes... and (as you suggest) never mind when I do because it's good practice for me, and good for students to see my sensational powers of logical deduction working out where I went wrong!!

Regards
HJR