DIRECT=Y with EXP

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:13:46 +0100

Niall,

it isn't as simple as that I'm afraid - and I also wouldn't go anywhere near this 'dba' person anyway.
He refuses to change the setting.
He refuses to beleieve me when advised about 'free space fragmentation' caused by the compress parameter.
He refuses to change it so that I can import his bloody exports anyway. I spend far too many hours getting his stuff into our test system - and he complains about how long it takes.
He (used to) export every night, drop and reimport - to get data into a single efficient (!) extent.
He has done performance tests and proved that Oracle are wrong when they say that one extent is no better on performance. etc etc.

Having dealt with him on many occasions, there is only one word for him - 'Merchant Banker' :o)

Cheers,
norman.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator