Re: DIRECT=Y with EXP

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 19:31:39 +1000

Hi Norman,

I think the reason why the compress option still defaults to Y is because of Oracle's general standard to typically have a default behaviour the same as the previous release. That way, how things currently work now should be in the same when you next upgrade.

Then again, there have been exceptions to the rule (such as LMT now default for example) and I agree that this default really has gone way past it's used by date. It made some sense before the extents unlimited days but hey, I was a little boy when that came in (Ok, a big boy then :)

Rather than change the default, I vote for getting rid of it completely.

Cheers

Richard