Re: DIRECT=Y with EXP

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 18:53:06 +1000

It's not the default because setting direct=y causes the export to bypass the net8 layer that performs character set conversions. So client and database would both have to use the same characterset, or the export would fail.

It also bypasses the SQL processing layer, and does (as the name suggests) direct grabs of rows. That means there's no chance to apply 'where' clauses to the rows being exported -which is what happens when you use the (8i) 'QUERY' parameter. Subsetting the export in this way is a very handy feature, and I wouldn't want it effectively switched off by default.

Regards