Re: startup restrict and OEM connections

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:07:33 +0100

"Rick Denoire" <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> wrote in message news:httdkuccnb55icgl89uji46j3gdqq9fk2c_at_4ax.com...
> "Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote:
>

> >The *OEM users* you connect in on OEM are all stored in the OEM
repository
> >(along with their passwords, preferred credentials, etc. in a schema you
> >create when configuring the OMS), 'assuming' you're connecting in via the
> >OMS. Therefore, in order to connect to OEM, the OMS must be started
(which
> >means the Repository database must be open) and you need to know the
logon
> >and password of an OEM account. These accounts are not *DB* users and
> >therefore your comment on granting restrict privileges to these confuses
me
> >?
>
> I think we are "in sync". This is my understanding too. I did not
> mean to grant the connect restrict privilege to the OEM account. But
> since exactly this account can't be used when the DB is started up
> restricted, there is some kind of dependency there. *Something* is
> missing the connect restrict privilege.

I can interpret your post two ways. Correct me if I am wrong.

  1. The database in which the OEM repository resides has been started, not normally, but rather using STARTUP RESTRICT . This is I think what you are saying. In this case it would be the repository owner account that would need the connect restrict privilege. I can't however see any valid reason for the OEM repository to be hosted in a database that only allows restricted connections.
  2. You have a running repository but cannot connect to target databases if they are running in restricted mode. In this case it would be the database users whose credentials you supply when connecting to the target that needs connect restrict.
--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA