Re: ORA-03113: Where does ServerManager get the information about databases?

From: Frank Seuberth <frank.seuberth_at_odn.de>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 16:00:01 +0200

> As far as I understand it, the Oracle Server Manager does NOT use the
> tnsnames.ora to resolve the SID. The only "input" for it is the
> environment variable ORACLE_SID.
>
> So: How can the ServerManager resolve the ORACLE_SID to the actual
> Oracle instance it has to start??
>
> The cause for this question is that at my company we were facing a
> mysterious "ORA-03113 end-of-file on communication channel" error and
> had some strange effects:
>
> Say, the only "valid" SID would be "DBS1":
>
> ------------- attempt 1 (non-existent SID) ------------
> bash-2.04$ ORACLE_SID=foo
> bash-2.04$ export ORACLE_SID
> bash-2.04$ svrmgrl
>
> Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.6.0.0 - Production
>
> Copyright (c) 1997, 1999, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
>
> Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.6.1.0 - Production
> With the Partitioning option
> JServer Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production
>
> SVRMGR>
> ------------- attempt 2 (correct SID) --------------
> bash-2.04$ ORACLE_SID=DBS1
> bash-2.04$ export ORACLE_SID
> bash-2.04$ svrmgrl
>
> Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.6.0.0 - Production
>
> Copyright (c) 1997, 1999, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
>
> ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
> SVRMGR>
> ----------- end of examples -------------------
>
> As you can see, if I use a non-existent SID, I can launch the
> ServerManager - I will get no results, though, because of the illegal
> SID, but I can "connect internal".

That is right, because from now on you can start with the creation of a new databse !!!!!
So it must be possible to act like this.

> On the other hand: if I use the valid SID, the ServerManager prints the
> not-very-useful error message ORA-03113. I can not even connect internal
> (if I try, svrmgrl turns to a "defunc" process). I can do nothing!
>
> After some guessings and experiments it seems to me that I could track
> down the problem easier if I could understand what makes the difference
> between the two callings. The difference is the SID, so how does
> ServerManager get to the instance when all it it passed is the
> ORACLE_SID? It is not tnsnames.ora and it is not /etc/oratab - what is
> it then?

The servermanager connects to the SID given by ORACLE_SID. Your SID DBS1 does exist !!!!! (for Oracle) and you have a Problem at this moment with this SID.
Is this SID realy existing or are there only some old files of this SID somewhere ?

Frank
UNIX/DBA
Germany Received on Tue Jul 30 2002 - 09:00:01 CDT