Re: Creating a **DEFAULT** database

From: Frank Seuberth <frank.seuberth_at_odn.de>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 15:52:51 +0200

> I was able to sort out the problem to an extent. I am not sure if the
> solution is right. I am working on HP-UX 11.0. We have 2 users one is
> "oracle8i" and the other is "user1". The "oracle8i" user belongs to a
> group - "dba" on unix and "user1" belongs to someother group. We were
> not able to execute sqlplus from "user1" even after setting
> ORACLE_BASE, ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID and PATH to point to
> ORACLE_HOME/bin.
>
> The moment sqlplus was executed from user1 login it would say
>
> ORA 01034: Oracle not available
>
> whereas the same thing works with "oracle8i" login. "oracle8i" is the
> unix login from which oracle was installed.
>
> The problem was sorted out by adding the "user1" to the "dba" group.
> Does oracle have a list of authenticated users??. The same thing is
> not required on Sun Solaris. On Solaris "user1" still belongs to a
> different unix group.

May be one of 2 Problems :
1.)
Oracle has its own rights in the db this has nothing to do with the unix groups
When you add the user to a role (dba) than he has also the right to create a session against the db.
So the user "user1" needs some rights in the db. For the Beginning you can do it like this : grant connect to user1 (Folks, I know that it is to much, but let us not go to deep with the beginners ).

You shoul read the Oracle Administrator's Guide capture 23 Managing User Privileges and Roles

2.)
The user must have the execute rights against the oracle binaries

Sorry for my bed english I am from Germany

Frank
UNIX/ORACLE
Gremany Received on Tue Jul 30 2002 - 08:52:51 CDT