Re: Creating a **DEFAULT** database

From: mshetty <mshetty_at_mail.com>
Date: 29 Jul 2002 18:38:19 -0700

Hi,

I was able to sort out the problem to an extent. I am not sure if the solution is right. I am working on HP-UX 11.0. We have 2 users one is "oracle8i" and the other is "user1". The "oracle8i" user belongs to a group - "dba" on unix and "user1" belongs to someother group. We were not able to execute sqlplus from "user1" even after setting ORACLE_BASE, ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID and PATH to point to ORACLE_HOME/bin.

The moment sqlplus was executed from user1 login it would say

ORA 01034: Oracle not available

whereas the same thing works with "oracle8i" login. "oracle8i" is the unix login from which oracle was installed.

The problem was sorted out by adding the "user1" to the "dba" group. Does oracle have a list of authenticated users??. The same thing is not required on Sun Solaris. On Solaris "user1" still belongs to a different unix group.

Would help if I could get some comments on the above.

Thanks and Regards,
M Shetty Received on Mon Jul 29 2002 - 20:38:19 CDT