Re: set a rollback segment for a specific user

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 20:23:09 GMT

Pete Sharman wrote:

> In article <3d44f6ca$0$8514$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net>, "Niall says...
> >
> >"Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote in message
> >> Totally agree. In fact, to turn Oracle into SQL*Server you'd need to ADD
> >a lot
> >> more parameters - TABLE_LOCKING=ALWAYS and RUN_FAST=FALSE spring to mind
> >> immediately! ;)
> >
> >Not to mention SINGLE_PLATFORM=TRUE, and DB_BLOCK_SIZE="8K SO THERE."
> ><snip>
>
> Oh yes, I'd forgotten those ones! :)
>

> >> It's great to make the database easier to manage, and I can see why they
> >> want to do that. But it shouldn't be at the expense of taking away
> >flexibility
> >> from the advanced users UNTIL we're guaranteed that the database does a
> >better
> >> job than manually fiddling with things does. I think we're starting to
> >see the
> >> tide turn that way on some things (LMT's vs. DMT's for example). Do you
> >want to
> >tooth
> >> comb?
> >
> >I'm in two minds about this. I do think Oracle should be easier to manage. I
> >rather suspect that most people who use it do just install take all the
> >defaults and run for a while (until they get a consultant in) maybe. To be
> >honest this ought to be an acceptable approach to software installation
> >(just as it is with hardware). Of course actually having sensible defaults
> >would help in this!
> >
> >OTOH I don't believe that we can ever 'guarantee that the database does a
> >better job than manually fiddling does'. I suspect that *for the skilled
> >professional* it will always be possible to outperform the softwares
> >automatic (but general) choices by specific manual tuning.
> >
> >I believe we are getting to the point where this 'manual fiddling about'
> >(surely high performance technology engineering <g>) becomes more and more
> >pointless since the software is 'good enough'. The question then becomes do
> >you leave the ability to manually tune or do you just say this is too
> >dangerous and more often than not will leave the database in a worse state
> >than it was before.
> >

> >--
> >Niall Litchfield
> >Oracle DBA
> >Audit Commission UK
> >*****************************************
> >Please include version and platform
> >and SQL where applicable
> >It makes life easier and increases the
> >likelihood of a good answer

> Totally agree again. The problem Development faces I believe is that there just
> aren't enough Jonathan's out there (when are we gonna be able to clone this
> guy?!). First impressions count for a lot, so there are a lot of people out
> there that think Oracle is hard to manage. I don't believe it is. I believe
> [...]

I agree and would add that ... part of the reason people perceive Oracle as hard, and/or expensive, to manage is that in truth they never received decent training. An OCP class is not training. Oracle Education is truly not training. So where does one really go to learn how to take an H/P or Sun box with nothing on it other than the O/S and install and configure Oracle? Where do you learn how to prepare for different types of apps with hundreds or thousands of users, less than perfect disk configurations, and a SysAdmin that thinks the answer to every problem is RAID5?

What we really need is hands-on training equivalent to what other professions have for their practitioners.

And for those of us earning in six figures ... be careful what you wish for. If they turn Oracle into SQL Server Plus we will be getting paid what SQL Server types get ... and that is not on my list of financial losses I would like to sign up for.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Jul 29 2002 - 15:23:09 CDT