Re: set a rollback segment for a specific user

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 29 Jul 2002 10:40:33 -0700

In article <3d44f6ca$0$8514$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net>, "Niall says...

>"Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote in message
>> Totally agree. In fact, to turn Oracle into SQL*Server you'd need to ADD
>a lot
>> more parameters - TABLE_LOCKING=ALWAYS and RUN_FAST=FALSE spring to mind
>> immediately! ;)
>
>Not to mention SINGLE_PLATFORM=TRUE, and DB_BLOCK_SIZE="8K SO THERE."
><snip>

Oh yes, I'd forgotten those ones! :)

>> It's great to make the database easier to manage, and I can see why they
>> want to do that. But it shouldn't be at the expense of taking away
>flexibility
>> from the advanced users UNTIL we're guaranteed that the database does a
>better
>> job than manually fiddling with things does. I think we're starting to
>see the
>> tide turn that way on some things (LMT's vs. DMT's for example). Do you
>want to
>tooth
>> comb?
>
>I'm in two minds about this. I do think Oracle should be easier to manage. I
>rather suspect that most people who use it do just install take all the
>defaults and run for a while (until they get a consultant in) maybe. To be
>honest this ought to be an acceptable approach to software installation
>(just as it is with hardware). Of course actually having sensible defaults
>would help in this!
>
>OTOH I don't believe that we can ever 'guarantee that the database does a
>better job than manually fiddling does'. I suspect that *for the skilled
>professional* it will always be possible to outperform the softwares
>automatic (but general) choices by specific manual tuning.
>
>I believe we are getting to the point where this 'manual fiddling about'
>(surely high performance technology engineering <g>) becomes more and more
>pointless since the software is 'good enough'. The question then becomes do
>you leave the ability to manually tune or do you just say this is too
>dangerous and more often than not will leave the database in a worse state
>than it was before.
>

>--
>Niall Litchfield
>Oracle DBA
>Audit Commission UK
>Please include version and platform
>and SQL where applicable
>It makes life easier and increases the
>likelihood of a good answer

Totally agree again. The problem Development faces I believe is that there just aren't enough Jonathan's out there (when are we gonna be able to clone this guy?!). First impressions count for a lot, so there are a lot of people out there that think Oracle is hard to manage. I don't believe it is. I believe it's complex, as it needs to be to include all the functionality it has. Does that mean it's hard to manage? No, but it generally does mean that you may want someone who knows what they're doing to help you when you're using more complex functionality. If you move to Oracle simply as a datastore (a spreadsheet on steroids), then it will generally do what you want without too much work. If you want more advanced functionality, I don't think it's too much to understand that it comes sometimes at the price of more complexity from the management perspective.

WHat it basically boils down to is a shortage of "skilled professionals". We need to walk a fine line between making the database less difficult to manage and making the database less flexible to manage. How well we walk that line is probably open to debate, but I can see why things are moving the way they are.

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Mon Jul 29 2002 - 12:40:33 CDT