Re: order by / sorting performance issue

From: Andy <andy.spaven_at_eps-hq.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 16:39:38 +0100

James

Most likely it's due to a gotcha in some versions of Oracle (can't remember which ones), the hint for an index that you want to Oracle to use to alleviate a sort only works if that column is mentioned in a where clause (mock this up to be a non criteria - my_text_col >= '', my_positive_int_col
>= 0 etc.).

If this isn't the solution can you post the SQL and the explain plan - the group might be able to suggest solutions with more certainty.

Unless you're machine is underpowered or using slow disk or your DB is badly configured (note Richards post about sort area size), you really shouldn't see Oracle stuggle with sorting 6000 rows and the approach to get

Andy