optimizer won't pick bitmap index

From: Mikael Kruse <mikael.kruse_at_ehs.ericsson.se>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 17:01:42 +0200

Hi,
I have a query taking some time and thought I'd test if it goes quicker using a bitmap index. So I created the bitmap index and now I'm trying to give hints to the optimizer to make it use the index, but I do not succeed...
Running Oracle 8.0.6 on HP-UX, optimizer mode=RULE and changing to cost-based on system or session level is not an option. My method has been to simply give a hint:
select /*+ index(table_name index_name) */ column1, column2.... but as mentioned it doesn't work. I've also tried giving two hints: select /*+ all_rows index(table_name index_name) */ column1, column2.... to make the optimizer switch to cost-based for this query and then use bitmap index but it was no good.
If anyone can help me I would be really grateful...

/Mikael Received on Mon Jul 29 2002 - 10:01:42 CDT