Re: Several CPUs and the parallel option

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:30:37 +1000

Hi Rick,

Just to add to what Sybrand has said.

For the novice, I would strongly recommend setting the parallel_automatic_tuning parameter to true. This sets other parameters to appropriate values and allows Oracle to automatically set appropriate parallel process depending on load.

As you become more experienced, you can tweak things if required.

The other thing to note is that tables and the such by default have the parallel clause set to noparallel (check degree in dba_tables). You might wish to change the default degree on specific tables (just supplying parallel is again recommended for the novice) else supply the appropriate parallel option or hint as required.

As Sybrand has noted not much point having (say) 8 people digging a hole if they've only got the one shovel to use. Appropriate data distribution, use of partitions etc. is essential to maximise parallel effectiveness.

Good Luck

Richard