Re: Oracle-managed RAID-like tablespaces

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 23:06:04 +0200

Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam> wrote:

>> Too good to be true. Am I just dreaming or what? Please correct me!
>
>No you are not dreaming. It is a common thing to do in large server
>setups. You just got the wrong product mix. What you need is a LVM and
>good quality disk controllers.

If I understand you correctly, a LVM would allow me to setup a kind of "logical device" that is based across several "real" harddisks, and that accessing this logical device from within an application would lead to a multiple access of several disks. That sounds like a real fine feature. I suppose that I could also choose the size of the data chunks written as a unit to every disks before switching to the next disk (inside the same "logical device").

Can I do this without any hardware *Raid* controller? Please confirm.

>Don't do it at database level. Disk path handling and optimization does
>NOT belong inside database software. Do it at OS level. Much more
>efficient and flexible.

Of course, you are right here. But according to Mr. Sven Jensen in this thread one can achieve the mentioned organisation of data by putting several files which build a locally managed tablespace on different disks, and Oracle would address different files in a round robin order, in this way spreading data over several disks that would otherwise be written sequentially into one file.

Thanks
Rick Received on Sun Jul 28 2002 - 16:06:04 CDT