Several CPUs and the parallel option

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 12:09:56 +0200

Hello

Put simple, I would like a data mining application to take advantage of the four CPUs of our E3500 (Solaris 2.7, Oracle 8.1.7 Enterprise Edition). When it runs, it only uses effectively one CPU (which is being switched of course). I assume that when using the parallel feature of Oracle, it will then be possible to use several CPUs for one and the same job.

When I start instance, I get a message "...with the parallel option". But when I set the parallel option on in the init.ora file, the instance won't start.

Is this a question of an additional installation that has not yet been done? If so, what is the name of the missing software package? We should have no license problems.

If I finally get the instance started with the parallel option set to true, will Oracle more or less automatically parallelize something? Or are any changes in the application itself (PL/SQL) needed to achieve parallelism?

According to your experience, if changes in the application are needed, are they usually complicated to code? And in general, what are the chances that the parallel option will accelerate execution proportionally to the number of CPUs?

I do not expect a "lecture" about parallelism in Oracle, but since I am complete unexperienced in this question, any hints will be appreciated, before I go for it. Collegues are blaming me for being unable to use the whole power of the server...

Thanks
Rick Received on Sun Jul 28 2002 - 05:09:56 CDT