Re: set a rollback segment for a specific user

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 27 Jul 2002 16:52:10 -0700

In article <3D41D965.745490BC_at_exesolutions.com>, Daniel says...

snip

>If they think they are going to be successful by turning the Oracle RDBMS into
>SQL
>Server for UNIX they are going to lose a lot.
>
>Provided automated management is fine. But they should keep adding features for
>those skilled enough to want the very best.
>
>Daniel Morgan

Totally agree. In fact, to turn Oracle into SQL*Server you'd need to ADD a lot more parameters - TABLE_LOCKING=ALWAYS and RUN_FAST=FALSE spring to mind immediately! ;)

I have been making a fairly similar point to Development myself at some recent meetings, and I believe they understand where I (and others) are coming from here. It's great to make the database easier to manage, and I can see why they want to do that. But it shouldn't be at the expense of taking away flexibility from the advanced users UNTIL we're guaranteed that the database does a better job than manually fiddling with things does. I think we're starting to see the tide turn that way on some things (LMT's vs. DMT's for example). Do you want to go back to the days when you use to have to manage everything with a fine tooth comb? Probably not. Let's free up the DBA's time from mindless drivel that can be automated and leave them free to worry about more important things like performance, availability, capacity planning and so on. I ain't sayin' Oracle's perfect. No software is, so there's always a need for someone who knows their stuff, but let's worry about the RIGHT stuff, not the boring stuff.

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Sat Jul 27 2002 - 18:52:10 CDT