Re: Moving tables with constraints

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 21:17:38 +0100

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:1027798289.4862.1.nnrp-13.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk...

> There's always one trouble maker !
>
> I sympathise - too many people make
> sweeping generalisations and give hints
> which apply only under special conditions.
>
> On the other hand - the existence of a
> rowid-based snapshot might make me
> pause for thought before I performed an
> action on a base table that was supposed
> to change all the rowids :(

Jonathan,

I think I owe you an apology.

Looking at my remarks above, it's easy to conclude that my intention was to gainsay your excellent advice; which it wasn't.

The problem was that when I moved the local table which 'holds' the snapshot, the contents of the M_ROW$$ column seemed to be truncated. This database is pre-production, and the snapshots are small, so the problem was easily worked around by dropping and recreating the snapshots - it was only half an hour or so - quicker than restoring and recovering.

This was the final irritation at the end of a long day which had included irritations from many other sources, none of which were Oracle's fault.

Anyway, I've raised a TAR, and FWIW I'll keep the group posted.

Sorry.

Paul

P.S. I recommend Jonathan's book to every DBA; it's excellent. Received on Sat Jul 27 2002 - 15:17:38 CDT