Re: set a rollback segment for a specific user

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 21:13:07 +0100

"Steven" <steven.pannell_at_gmx.net> wrote in message news:ahtuib$v2q0u$1_at_ID-82797.news.dfncis.de...
> creating large rollback segments is appealing to me but won't this affect
> performance of smaller transactions? We have lots of very small
> transacitons just inserting one row, updating one row. Is this a major
> problem?

I believe that the answer to this is no. the implication is only AFAIK in terms of space requirements. Your small (OLTP I guess) transactions will still only use the same number of blocks - probably one- that they always did. That said I don't have any experiments to prove it. I will say that our OLTP system uses 10mb extent sizes for rollback segments and these have never caused a performance problem (except of course when we filled the tablespace :-( ). It uses these relatively large rollback segs because we also do online reporting on the same db.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA