Re: Grant create database

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 19:59:39 +0100

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:ahslau$a49$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz...
> Carlos,
>
> If all sorts of people can connect 'as sysdba' whether you've granted a
> privilege, revoked it, or done nothing, then it's a sure-fire bet that
> you've got operating system authentication switched on. I described that
in
> my original post: check out the memberships of the ORA_DBA group (if
you're
> on NT) or the dba group (if Unix).
>
> New-ish DBAs on NT have a weird habit of adding 'Everyone' as a member of
> the server's local ORA_DBA group... which means anyone and everyone can do
> privileged actions. It shouldn't be so bad on Unix (since most Unix
> administrators seem to know what they're doing).
>
> Check out the group memberships, anyway, and I think you'll find the
answer
> there.
>
> Regards
> HJR

Howard,

OP is on Linux. I suspect he's logging onto the box as oracle (or whatever) and then issuing something like sqlplus fred/bloggs as sysdba. Of course, Oracle doesn't care what surrounds the / since this is, as you imply, OS authentication by definition, as the database may not be open, or even exist yet.

Paul Received on Sat Jul 27 2002 - 13:59:39 CDT