Re: set a rollback segment for a specific user

From: Karen <abvk_at_ureach.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 05:38:20 GMT

If I understand well, all this is to assign a specific rollback segment to a transaction?

Here are other options, equally or more inattractive:

3. Have one rollback segment for all transactions. Contention for segment header is
your friend, but this might work.

4. Oracle assigns rollback segments in round-robin fashion, but according to the number
of active transactions in the segment. Then, to "reserve" the one we need you can simply
start several sessions and leave them running forever.

5. (This is crazy one, but hey). Before starting a transaction, online the rollback segment,
assign to it, and ... immediately offline it. Oracle will block attempts of other transactions
to use this segment, but it should let your transaction complete. So you are left alone using
the rollback segment, maybe with just a few other transactions which might squeeze in before
you offline it. The biggest challenge here is how to offline a rollback segment in the same
transaction. The ALTER ROLLBACK SEGMENT command is a DDL and it will do a commit internally, so your SET statement will not work. To work around it, maybe you
can use an autonomous transaction just to offline a rollback segment. Let others know if
you get this to work.

Maybe some of these will work for the OP? However, I think he just needs a DBMS_TRANSACTION call.

Best regards
AK

PS. Btw, can someone explain to me what cross-posting is? Did I cross-post when I answered
two different emails in the same thread? If so, is there something wrong with it?