Authenticate users via OS or Oracle?

From: Frankie Li <earthy_at_hkicable.com>
Date: 26 Jul 2002 19:49:46 -0700

Dear all,

I'm new to Oracle and recently I am asked whether we should create users and authenticate them through OS or within Oracle, based on security point of view.

We are running Oracle 8i under AIX. As far as I can think of, using the "single-sign-on" approach can improve management and we can inheriate OS's user security features and policies (just in case if AIX is more powerful than Oracle in this area).

Is there any other idea of pros and cons on this topic? Which one will be preferable in real world?

Thanks for any comments in advance. :>

Earthy Received on Fri Jul 26 2002 - 21:49:46 CDT