Help. SQL Syntax to create a master/detail report.

From: Sam Talebbeik <sam777t_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 26 Jul 2002 16:56:36 -0700

Folks,

I need to create a simple master/detail report from a SELECT statement using SQL in Oracle. My query looks like :

select last_name, project_name
from projects
order by last_name

The output as you expect shows up as

last_name       project_name
----------     -------------
sam              xproj2
sam              xproj3
dave             dpro4
dave             dpro8

How can I write a SQL to make the output look something like the following so that the repeating value in the last_name column does not show up for each printed row:

last_name         project_name
sam                xproj2
                   xproj3
dave               dpro4
                   dpro8

I can not purchase a report writing tool to do this.

   Regards,
   Sam Received on Fri Jul 26 2002 - 18:56:36 CDT