Re: set a rollback segment for a specific user

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 26 Jul 2002 15:23:12 -0700

In article <3D41797B.8E889314_at_exesolutions.com>, Daniel says...

>Pete Sharman wrote:

snip

>Which leads to the obvious question. Why hasn't Oracle implemented private
>rollback segments? I can assign a user a default tablespace, a temp tablespace,
>why not user-specific rollback? It seems to me it would be a technical
>no-brainer.
>
>CREATE USER xyz
>IDENTIFIED BY xyz
>DEFAULT TABLESPACE abc
>TEMPORARY TABLESPACE def
>ROLLBACK SEGMENT ghi
>QUOTA ... ON
>
>It would just be one more way for DBAs to control resource utilization and I/O.
>
>Daniel Morgan

You're asking me why Development hasn't done something? Zip idea here I'm afraid! :)

In any case, I think you're more likely to see the opposite to waht you're after. As AUM (automatic undo management) becomes smarter and smarter at doing its job, you're probably going to see more automatic stuff happening, rather than more control for the DBA. Of course, this is just my navel gazing, so I could be completely wrong!

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Fri Jul 26 2002 - 17:23:12 CDT