installation of oracle 9i on redhat 7.3 problems with jr

From: kurt verstichel <kurt_verstichel_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 26 Jul 2002 13:44:09 -0700

I'm trying to install Oracle 9i on a PC, having an AMD 1800+ / 256 Mb ram, where Redhat 7.3 is installed (I know this is an unsupported platform, but I'm almost sure my problem has nothing to do with it) processor. I reserved a partition of 8 Gb for Linux. I downloaded 9i as 3 CDs from OTN, After unzipping, the CDs are labelled :

lnx_920_disk1.cpio
lnx_920_disk2.cpio
lnx_920_disk3.cpio

I extracted the CDs to a directory /tmp/oracle, and I started up
/tmp/oracle/Disk1/runInstaller as the oracle user. No problems to
start up the runInstaller,

As File Locations I choose :
Source : /tmp/oracle/Disk1/stage/products.jar Destination :

     Name : OraHome

I'm chosing for a full installation, so I check :

Oracle 9i Database 9.2.0.1.0

As type of installation I choose :
Enterprise Edition (2.04Gb)

As Database Configuration I choose :
General purpose

The database identification is :
Global Database Name : orcl.LinuxHome
SID : ORCL The directory for database file is :
/data/orcl

I'm using the default character set

Then the installation starts, where part1 (installing) passes without any problem

But when 84% of pass2 (linking) is done, I receive the message (in the log file) :

Calling action unixActions2.2.0.6.0 make

        installMakePath = /usr/bin/make
        installMakeFileName =

/app/oracle/product/9.0.2/ctx/lib/ins_ctx.mk
installTarget = install undoMakeFileName = installArguments = ORACLE_HOME=/app/oracle/product/9.0.2, logFile = /app/oracle/product/9.0.2/install/make.log undoTarget =

Exception thrown from action: make
Exception Name: MakefileException
Exception String: Error in invoking target install of makefile
/app/oracle/product/9.0.2/ctx/lib/ins_ctx.mk
Exception Severity: 1

I tried a lot of workarounds, and .... but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the place where jre can be found. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the handling of the file
/app/oracle/product/9/0/2/JRE/bin/jre and also with the fact that only
in one of the directories oracle.swd.jre/bin/i386 and oracle.swd.jre/bin/i686 an executable jre can be found, when in the opposite directories the shared libs can be found.

When I ignore the error the installer goes on, even wants me to execute a script as root, but at the end following installation errors are detected.
Following error window occurs :

One or more tools have failed. It is recommended ...

Afterwards the installation starts the following tools :

Oracle Net Configuration Assistant.
Oracle Database Configuration Assistant
Agent Configuration Assistant
Starting HTTP Server

The first 3 applications failed, the 4th succeeded. Errors at the start up of
1. : jre was not found in
/app/oracle/product/9.0.2/oracle.swd.jre/bin/i386/native_threads/jre
2. : jre was not found in
/app/oracle/product/9.0.2/oracle.swd.jre/bin/i386/native_threads/jre
3. : jre was not found in
/app/oracle/product/9.0.2/oracle.swd.jre/bin/i386/native_threads/jre

Inspecting the mentioned directories, the installation procedure is rigth, the mentioned application does not exist in the i386 but in the i686 directory.

I tried, a lot, but unfortunately, I do not succeed.

Is there anyone having the same problems, and better, knows the solution for this behaviour. At this moment, Im unable to run an oracle database on my linux system, dispite every 'ease of installation' I read before.
I'm a bit disappointed, but I'm sure this problem can be solved. Received on Fri Jul 26 2002 - 15:44:09 CDT