Re: Invalid password file when creating new db in Linux

From: Roger Crowley <rcrowley-enkidu_at_learningframework.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 20:42:06 GMT

Daniel,

A couple of things can catch you off-guard when you create the password file:

  1. The ORACLE_SID must be correct. You won't get an error if it is wrong, but the database create will fail.
  2. Do NOT put a file extension on the password file! If you do, the database create will fail. The error message you got looks like you might have done this ('orapw' is the default name, but it'll never find it).

The command to create a password file is something like:

orapwd file-orapwORCL password=<syspass> entries=20

-Roger Crowley