Re: Backing up Databases

From: Roger Crowley <rcrowley-enkidu_at_learningframework.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 20:30:38 GMT

One caveat to using RMAN as opposed to using shell scripts to backup your db - at a previous job, we "cloned" databases by simply copying (tar) datafiles from one computer to another (sort of like a cold backup, but using another computer as the target). Shell scripts can back up each of the clones ... but RMAN has trouble doing it. In defense of RMAN, it's not a bug ... but rather our method of cloning not only kept the same SID (RX - can you guess what we had in the database?), but also the same database ID (select dbid from v$database). RMAN had no way to distinguish between the clones. Otherwise, RMAN is a fine tool ... and if you don't "clone" databases like they did at my former job, you'll have no problems. Well, almost none. :)

Roger Crowley

Sadik Aral Bozkirli wrote:

> I concur.  The only practical use I found for export is moving objects
> from one schema to another, e.g. moving the schema from development to
> production.  Export is not really a backup method.  RMAN can backup to
> tape devices.  You can make incremental backups and only back up the
> changed blocks in the datafiles, which will save you some tape space.
>

> "Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:<ng409.44116$Hj3.134377_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>...
>

>>Hi John,

[snip]
>>How you perform the physical backup is also up to you. From an Oracle
>>perspective RMAN would meet all your needs, is "Oracle literate", is
>>included with the database and has a very nice features set which is
>>continually being added to.

[snip]
>>Good Luck
>>
>>Richard
>>
>>"JohnWood" <jwood_at_microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi,

[snip]