Re: A way to get the system tablespace into smaller files?

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 20:08:10 GMT

You don't need any tools to resize the tablespace. Alter database datafile
'/your/sys/file' resize 350M;

you can also try:
select 'ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE '''|| b.name||''' RESIZE '||max(nvl(a.block_id,1) + nvl(a.blocks,1)) * &db_block_size||';' from dba_extents a, v$datafile b
where file#=file_id(+)
and b.name='/your/file/name'
group by file_id, b.name;

and add 20-50Ms to the resultant #

On 25 Jul 2002 04:34:08 -0700, jonwaterhouse_at_mail.gov.nf.ca (Jon Waterhouse) wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm running 9i on NT and want to be able to do backups on CD-RW. I
>have been careful to add files to the USERS tablespace that are less
>than the size of a
>disk, but the SYSTEM tablespace started off in a 750MB file, of which
>only 300 is currently used. I thought maybe I could Reorganize and
>then make the file smaller, but after the whole painful process of
>setting up and configuring the oracle management server I finally got
>to the message "Oracle does not support the reorganization of the
>system tablespace". Well, I suppose I asked for it, it's probably
>written in the manual somewhere <g>.
>In the short run I'll probably ZIP the file first, but is there a
>long-run solution that's not too painful?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jon

We use Oracle 8.1.7.3 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Fri Jul 26 2002 - 15:08:10 CDT