Re: Backup Script

From: Roger Crowley <rcrowley-enkidu_at_learningframework.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 17:48:47 GMT

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> I have here a hot backup shell script which a student of one of my backup
> and recovery courses knocked up during the brief interludes when I wasn't
> waffling on about one thing or another.

I made a comment in another thread about a GNU shell script called oraback.sh, by W. Curtis Preston et al, which can be found at http://www.storagemountain.com. It does work (well, unless you're with Oracle9i, because it still relies on the 'svrmgrl' utility ... and you can't just convert to using sqlplus /nolog because many of the grep, awk, sed, etc commands have to be changed too, to handle the different output).

Because it was written by a lot of very smart people, I feel pretty confident that it covers all the bases.

Bottom line: if you want to know what all the "parts" of a backup are and what order you have to do them, be sure to check out this script. You might even end up doing what I did ... using it as a springboard to create your own local site-specific script.

-Roger Crowley Received on Fri Jul 26 2002 - 12:48:47 CDT