Re: set a rollback segment for a specific user

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 16:33:06 GMT

Pete Sharman wrote:

> In article <ahrlbh$vi73t$1_at_ID-82797.news.dfncis.de>, "Steven" says...
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm wondering if it is possible to set a specific rollback segment for a
> >user so that user only uses the specified rollback segment. My problem is
> >that sometimes I perform large transactions and want to use the large
> >rollback segment. However, I cannot specify the rollback segment using "set
> >transaction......" because I am accessing the data through an application.
> >
> >Any help will be appreciated,
> >Regards,
> >Steve.
> >

> Nope, Niall's approach is the only way that this will work. Even then, you're
> not guaranteed that other users won't use the same rollback segment.
>
> HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.
>
> Pete
>
> SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements;

Which leads to the obvious question. Why hasn't Oracle implemented private rollback segments? I can assign a user a default tablespace, a temp tablespace, why not user-specific rollback? It seems to me it would be a technical no-brainer.

CREATE USER xyz
IDENTIFIED BY xyz
DEFAULT TABLESPACE abc
TEMPORARY TABLESPACE def
ROLLBACK SEGMENT ghi
QUOTA ... ON It would just be one more way for DBAs to control resource utilization and I/O.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Jul 26 2002 - 11:33:06 CDT