Re: Backup Script

From: Charles J. Fisher <cfisher_at_rhadmin.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 14:41:09 GMT

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Karen wrote:

> > Disadvantages:
> > 1. I do take the tablespace in and out of backup mode for each datafile.
> > Since I'm compressing, this seems like a good idea.

> it looks like you put tablespace in backup mode for every file
> this is not good

It's more important to keep the time that the tablespace is in backup mode to a minimum to hold down on excessive redo generation. Remember, I'm compressing these files as they're copied; good compression takes time.

One of my systems is a 60 gigabyte database, and I've only got 20 gigs of scratch space. I have no choice in this case; I've got to compress, and going by tablespace gives me no discernable benefit.

    / Charles J. Fisher              | "Have I done an unselfish thing? Well /
   /  cfisher_at_rhadmin.org            |  then, I have my reward. Keep this   /
  /   http://rhadmin.org             |  thought ever present, and          /
 /                                   |  persevere."  -Marcus Aurelius     /