Re: Creating a **DEFAULT** database

From: mshetty <mshetty_at_mail.com>
Date: 26 Jul 2002 05:55:21 -0700

> Hi Mshetty (are you really that sharp :)
didn't get this one......

> Couple of points.
>
> If you need to recreate your database everytime it crashes, you may want to
> consider how will it's protected and how good your recovery skills are. The
> simple solution to your problem would be to perform an appropriate database
> recovery.
>
> With regard to creating a new "default" database, use the Database
> Configuration Assistant and the custom option will create a "default"
> database for you. This is the easiest way for those new to Oracle.
>
> With respect to the number of default databases, you can create as many
> databases as you wish (resources permitting). Each database is uniquely
> identified with an ORACLE_SID value (which you select when creating the
> database).
>
> Go ahead and create a new database but this time look after it :)
>
> Good Luck
>
> Richard

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The reason I was asking for this is ---

Our new database is behaving a little strange. Both our Oracle Server and Client are on the same machine but while connecting through the Client I need to specify "username_at_database_name". The same does not happen when I run sqlplus, "sqlplus scott/tiger" works.

The variable ORACLE_SID is appropriately set, it's pointing to the new database name. The new database is mounted and the listener services are up.

Someone kind of hinted that the database is created as a remote database. Can I check what it currently is ... I mean a default one / remote.

We didn't face this problem with the old database. On comparing the init<SID>.ora files we found that the new database did not have the db_domain name set. We tried setting this in the init file (was done after the database was created).

Would help if I got some hint on where and what to look for.

Thanks and Regards,
M Shetty Received on Fri Jul 26 2002 - 07:55:21 CDT