Re: Connecting to database takes 5 seconds

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 21:07:10 +1000

In article <Xns92575EE674FB9wrgrpde_at_62.153.159.134>, you said (and I quote):

> SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
> NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES)
>
> Don't know what the NTS is used for.

NT Security. As opposed to using some other encryption scheme for authentication. Shouldn't be a problem if it is not turned on at the end of the listener.ora.

> tnsping'ing the server from my workstation finishes successfully in
> 10-30 msec. pinging both IP address and host name display no delay.

Yup, same here.

> > Also, you sure that all your client side exe and dlls coming from
> > local workstation disk? As opposed to a shared folder.
>
> Definitely, since the server is Oracle 8i but the client has
> Windows XP on which the 8i client software won't work, so it's
> using the 9.0.1 client software.

OK then, it isn't something funny in your client dlls. Must be something else.

> Could it have something to do with client and server using
> different versions of the Oracle software (8.1.6 vs. 9.0.1)?

I don't think so.
From your reply to Chuck it looks like it's the startup of the new thread. Very weird, it shouldn't take 7 secs at all!

One thing: go to Control Panel, run the Network applet. Pick "Server" on the list, then "Properties". Make sure the radio button at the bottom (application server) is the one active. Now go to System and make sure you have a *fixed* size paging area (big enough for your entire real memory). Last thing you want is NT "optimizing" memory usage in the middle of a connection or database operation. If you don't "pin it", that's unfortunately what happens...

If you want: drop me a line via e-mail and I'll send you Monday the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora that I use at work. There might be something in there that might "click" you into the problem? Just remove the no spam bits.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto