Re: Connecting to database takes 5 seconds

From: Wolfram Roesler <wr_at_grp.de>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:16:35 +0200

Hi,

nsouto_at_optushome.com.au (Nuno Souto) wrote in news:dd5cc559.0207251739.31bc4e32_at_posting.google.com:

>FWIW, 99% of problems with slow connections in NT are related to
>IP address resolution and handling . I've got a similar config to yours
>and get connections in half a second or less. Same size lan.

This gives me some hope still, although I'm beginning to believe that I'm in that remaining one percent.

> Can you post your sqlnet.ora file, client and server?

Yes, of course. Here the client's sqlnet.ora (minus comments):

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES) And here's the server's, identical to the client's:

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES) Don't know what the NTS is used for.

tnsping'ing the server from my workstation finishes successfully in 10-30 msec. pinging both IP address and host name display no delay.

> Also, you sure that all your client side exe and dlls coming from
> local workstation disk? As opposed to a shared folder.

Definitely, since the server is Oracle 8i but the client has Windows XP on which the 8i client software won't work, so it's using the 9.0.1 client software.

Could it have something to do with client and server using different versions of the Oracle software (8.1.6 vs. 9.0.1)?

Thanks for your help
W. Roesler Received on Fri Jul 26 2002 - 02:16:35 CDT