Re: Connecting to database takes 5 seconds

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: 25 Jul 2002 18:39:20 -0700

Wolfram Roesler <wr_at_grp.de> wrote in message news:<Xns9256691E96468wrgrpde_at_62.153.159.134>...

> > It could be your workstation not able to resolve dbserver hostname
> > efficiently. Try to use ip address on client or use sqlplus on dbserver
> > itself to know exact cause.
>
> I changed the hostname into the server's IP address using "Net Manager"
> on the client PC, but to no avail, even after a reboot. "ping servername"
> on the client responds without any relay, so name resolution seems to
> work fine anyway.

FWIW, 99% of problems with slow connections in NT are related to IP address resolution and handling . I've got a similar config to yours and get connections in half a second or less. Same size lan.

> Connecting with "sqlplus user/password" on the server itself takes
> about two seconds, compared to seven on the client. It's a very
> small network with less than 20 machines in it, and a very small
> database with less than 10 concurrent sessions.

Can you post your sqlnet.ora file, client and server? There was a setting there that slowed things awfully in NT, can't remember the name of the darn thing. If I see it, I might be able to "click".

Also, you sure that all your client side exe and dlls coming from local workstation disk? As opposed to a shared folder.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au Received on Thu Jul 25 2002 - 20:39:20 CDT