Re: Grant create database

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 11:16:29 +1000

Hi Carlos,

Working with SQL Server dudes at the moment, I'm getting pretty good at recognizing Oracle questions expressed in SS speak.

The answer to your specific question has already been answered except to say be very very careful to who you give SYSDBA privileges. They become "power users" with God like capabilities (from an Oracle point of view) and I'm not sure you really want to do this.

To create a schema (which I'm guessing is your real intention) requires the Create User privilege. But here again, I would question the wisdom of granting such a privilege to "anyone". There are storage implications, security implications, indeed performance implications as well. To create the various objects within a schema requires the various system privileges, etc.

In summary, Oracle is not quite the same as SS and I would strongly recommend a very good read before progressing too much further.

Then again, I could be totally wrong ...: )

Richard