Re: Limiting Resource for a Oarticular User

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:48:07 +1000

Hi Ronnie,

Regarding using Resource Manager, it all depends on what you want to do. Some things it does well, some things not so well. The fact that you're on 8.1.7 means you don't have access to some of the new capabilities of resource manager such as estimated execution time, undo quotas and the such. I would recommend researching RM's options and consider their suitability to your particular environment.

In answer to your question of whether there are other options, 'Profiles' is probably what you're looking for. A profile is an object that contains various session and statement limitations that can be assigned to a user(s). These resource limitations include CPU, logical I/O, no of sessions, idle time, connect time and mts session memory assigned to the SGA and CPU , logical I/O for individual statements.A profile can also be used to change password settings such as expiry times and the such.

Steps are:

  1. CREATE PROFILE guys_I_dont_like LIMIT CPU_PER_CALL 1000 LOGICAL_READS_PER_SESSION 1000;
as an example (note any resources not listed remain unlimited)

2) ALTER USER guy_who_scratched_my_car

    PROFILE guys_I_dont_like;

to assign a profile to a user

3) ALTER SYSTEM SET RESOURCE_LIMIT=true;

to enable the policing of these resource limits. Once PMON detects a session or statement that exceeds a resource limit, the session or statement is doomed (note though that PMON may not detect these infringements immediately).

It's all good stuff and is particular useful to get back at people that make life difficult.

This is documented in the concepts and administration guides.

Good Luck

Richard