Re: Question on user schema

From: Tom Best <oracle_person_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:32:03 -0400

GM:

From a previous similar post...

From: "Tom Best" <oracle_person_at_yahoo.com> Subject: Re: create user and grant
Date: Thursday, July 25, 2002 10:59 AM

Gabor:

The quick answer is, by default, each user sees only the data in his "schema" i.e. the tables under his username. john can have a table called "tab1" and so can bill, and they are totally separate tables. If you want to share data from a schema to another user, you GRANT access to it for that user. You may also create SYNONYMs to allow the other user to refer to the table without prefixing it with the owner's userid.

So, yes, bill and john are different users, with different data. They can't see each others data (by default). And if you create "ryan", again, he will have access only to HIS objects. The SQL statement "GRANT" will allow other users to see his data.

Take a look at Part VIII of this:

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/ a76965/toc.htm

HTH,
Tom Best