Re: Are Triggers Really that Bad or ....???

From: Charles <no email>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 08:13:22 -0500

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:42:37 +0100, Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi Ronnie,
>
>Oracle uses triggers in the database itself - so there really isn't a
>problem.
>I've never come across any problems with triggers - except 'mutating
>table' errors - and that was because I wrote a bad trigger :o)

Does the size or amount of the data being updated by the trigger matter? The reason I wonder is that we use open interface tables between our various ERP systems. The trigger in question (I don't have access to that groups code) had to be removed because it doubled the time for their dataload. Basically they were using it to copy the entire transaction to the OI table on any insert or update. Each row consisted of 23 columns of data, about half of the columns populated with part numbers, price, etc. It is an 8i database on HP/UX if that matters. Received on Thu Jul 25 2002 - 08:13:22 CDT