Re: system tablespace extents question

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 06:34:53 +1000

The system tablespace breaks every "good" design rule in existence (it's dictionary managed, pctincrease is set, it has the maximum number of extents set depending on blocksize, and it (should be) autoextend).

It's *supposed* to do all those things. It's designed with all those things in mind.

You get in there and start fiddling with any or all of those things at your peril.

Leave it well alone.

As for your question : What happens e.g. if initial and next extent of a tablespace is lets say 100k, and for a table in that tablespace we set 1M ?

...you'll get 1M extents. Segment extent settings always over-ride tablespace ones (that's why the clause for the table is "storage" and for the tablespace it's "default storage" -the tablespace settings are only what to use by default when you are silent on the subject at the segment level). That's for dictionary managed tablespaces, anyway. Locally managed tablespace are almost completely oblivious to what you say at the segment level, and their settings reign supreme.

My advice is always to forget setting extent sizes at the table level, even if you've got dictionary-managed tablespaces. Doing so causes confusion as to which setting applies (!), and also leads directly to tablespace fragmentation. Set a good default at the tablespace, and let it flood through to the segments.

Regards