Re: Is it better to set the freelist to a prime number ?

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 24 Jul 2002 18:12:34 +0100 (BST)

Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Now there's an interesting point.
>
>Unless I missed something, I was thinking
>that the PID referenced was v$process.pid
>(the Oracle process id) whereas you seem
>to be suggesting that it is v$process.spid
>(the operating system process id). Do you
>want to do the test, or shall I ? I have a free
>slot some time next March ;)

No, I missed something. Re-reading the metalink doc it clearly says "Oracle PID of the process". I just associated PID with OS PID and forgot that Oracle has its own idea of a PID.

So I need a more slightly more convoluted example where every other database connection is doing a lot of inserts. Not *that* implausible.

>(Note too, that your argument would only
>require an ODD number of freelists, not
>a prime number).
>
>I agree with your comment about pattern
>avoidance, though.

Well, yes, but if you're starting to make suggestions like "should be odd" to avoid one simple pattern, then you may as well say "should be prime" to avoid as many as possible.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/