Re: Core Dumps?

From: Rick Wessman <Rick.WessmanNO_SPAM_at_oracle.com>
Date: 24 Jul 2002 06:02:09 -0700

In article <ltmrjuc6pqjd9i6rovr0jk3k2iqkti5i8m_at_4ax.com>, Sybrand says...

>On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 15:25:02 -0700, Mark Lind
><marNOkSPAMlind_at_pacbell.net> wrote:
>
>>My /opt volume is close to being full, and I'm looking to make some
>>room. In my survey of the drive, I noticed several directories with
>>the following names:
>>
>>/opt/ORACLE/app/oracle/product/8.0.4/dbs/core_XXXX where XXXX is some
>>4-digit or 5-digit number. Each of these directories seems to have a
>>single file named "core" that's between 36MB and 106MB.
>>
>>Are those part of Oracle, or are those core dumps I can delete?
>>
>>Please no comments about how we need to upgrade to 9i. 8-)
>>
>>Mark Lind
>>Mark
>>
>>----
>>Please remove NO and SPAM to reply by e-mail
>
>They are core dumps that should have been investigated.
>If they are way old, delete them
>
>Hth
>

>Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>
>To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address
As a point of information, the XXXX is the process ID of the process that crashed. When a SIGSEGV or some other signal that causes core dumps is received, the process creates the directory, changes to it and then dumps core.

                                          Rick

                                Rick Wessman
                                Oracle Corporation

     The opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily reflect
                         those of Oracle Corporation.