Not needed check constraints

From: Stjepan Brbot <stjepan.brbot_at_zg.hinet.hr>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 13:54:01 +0200

I have table with column "ACTIVE" where my application stores the values of checkbox: 'Y' or 'N' (checked/unchecked). Although my application cannot store any other value than 'Y' or 'N', question is; is it good practice to have the additional check constraint checking if the value of "ACTIVE" column is in domain ('Y','N') or this is just waste of maintenance time and database performance because every time before inserting or updating database has to check if the new data for "ACTIVE" column is in ('Y','N') domain?

--

Stjepan Brbot