Re: How to detach/archive data

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 18:34:27 +1000

Hi Rick,

My recommendation would be to partition the tables you wish to historically archive. Once suitably partitioned, you can either exchange the partitions you no longer wish to remain "live" and export or export directly the partitions (you can do this). These 'saved' partitions can then be dropped and re-created if required. If you equal partition dependent tables, this makes the whole process a little easier. You then also have the additional performance benefits that partitioned tables provide.

Another option you could consider is to simply export the table(s) using the QUERY option and export only those rows of (no longer) interest (and import when required).

How you would automatic with a robotic tape system through an application I know not. I'll leave the easy bit to someone else :)

My thoughts

Richard