Re: I can't connect as SYSDBA

From: juha <salmjuh_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 23 Jul 2002 22:23:01 -0700

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:<35c%8.42209$Hj3.126920_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>...
> Hi Juha,
>
> I'm not entirely sure how you're attempting to login so I'm assuming you're
> trying to logon as sys/password as sysdba ?
>
> If so, did you create a password file (orapwd) ? If so, do you remember the
> value of the password=value parameter. If not you'll be cursing as that
> (like I say I think) is the password you're after.

I have no idea how that password file was created. Former administrator change employer and I have absolutely no idea what our system keep inside.

Buy the way. OS is Windows NT4.0 server and oracle is version 8.0.4

> If I've described the scenario correctly, you can either login using O/S
> authentication (connect / as sysdba) but you need to be an authenticated
> user on the O/S (such as a member of dba group) or you can delete and
> recreate the password file (this time taking note of the password
> parameter).

If I delete the password file it will delete ALL passwords ? Is this right. If so, I can't do it, because there is usernames used by applications and if I recreate the password file thous applications would stop working ?

Juha