Re: Desupport

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 00:45:36 +0200

On 23 Jul 2002 14:38:34 -0700, terrificbowler_at_yahoo.com (A. Howser) wrote:

>What exactly does de-support mean? I've seen a lot of discussion of
>it, but no definition. Specifically, here is my problem:
>
>Government client has a contract from 1999 stating that we have to
>develop this app on Oracle 8.0.4 on NT. We don't want to upgrade,
>first because changing the contract would be a big hassle, and second
>because they would demand that all of the software be regression
>tested.
>
>However, we only recently realized that 8.0.4 and OLE DB do not play
>nice together. I saw in a post that there are patches to upgrade to
>8.0.4.4 that can fix this. Does "desupported" mean that Oracle will
>not give us these patches? I would think it does, but I need to know
>for sure.
>
>Also, if that is the case, does someone have those patches lying
>around that they could give to us?

Desupport means they will drop the phone on you and they won't give you patches. Extended Assistance Support means that they will give your patches for *known* bugs, Extended Correction Support: well it pretty much says it. Still no backports though, IIRC. A backport is a bug solved in a subsequent release ported back to your release. 8.0.4 was deleted in a few months time. I don't think anyone has patches.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Jul 23 2002 - 17:45:36 CDT