Re: We may need tera-bytes space to install Oracle software in the coming years

From: SK <no-one_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:59:23 -0700

"hund" <hunder_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:5%f%8.6103$DN4.838734_at_news20.bellglobal.com...
> I remember only a few years ago, Oracle's most software installations took
> few hundreds of magabytes, now Oracle9iAS and Oracle9i need several
> gigabytes space to install. I wonder in the coming years, whether we need
> hundreds or thousands of gigabytes space to install Oracle software if
they
> continue to increase the volume in such speed.
>
> Jeff

Oracle is no more a database server only its a "operating system" in itself. It supports many featues which can be found on most modern OS'es 1. java ( compiler, java accelator, EJB, CORBA, SQLJ, stored procedures etc.)

2.  XML ( xmldb, dtd, xml sql utility, XSQL and many other things)
3. web server and Servlet server ( apache, OSE)
4. file system ( IFS)
5. internet media ( Oracle intermedia, ultra search etc..)
6. It uses  simple startup and shutdown commands and there are different
levels ( init 1 - single user mode)
7. They may be thinking to be FIRST database server to have built in .net framework
8. and many others I don't know.
btw renaming a column without recreating the whole table is latest feature in Oracle 9i2..
have fun

SK Received on Tue Jul 23 2002 - 16:59:23 CDT