Re: We may need tera-bytes space to install Oracle software in the coming years

From: Pekka Siltala <psilt_at_EIROSKAA.iki.fi.invalid>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 20:43:05 +0300

"hund" <hunder_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:5%f%8.6103$DN4.838734_at_news20.bellglobal.com...
> gigabytes space to install. I wonder in the coming years, whether we need

8i with extensive set of maintenance tools needs like 1.4 Gbytes. It's memory usage can be tuned very low, like this machine runs with 57 megs to rdbms and 6 meg is needed by TNSlistener under XP. You can select what tools you need and what not when you install the product, later on you can also uninstall unneeded parts. Like there's no reason to put all graphical widget-wonders to machine, that is always managed through SSH tunnel nor managed though oracle remote tools (like enterprise manager). Oracle 8i is not a bloatware, if you mean that. I have no knowledge nor certification for 9i though, so i cannot say anything about that.

Make no mistake about it, Oracle is the best rdbms available, if you consider scalability, reliability and stability as important (not to mention professional 24/7 support (depends on your support contract) or wide area of online training available including OCP certification system for real Oracle professionals).

When things start to go wrong, you wish you have chosen Oracle ;-)

--
Pekka