Re: Oracle AS and Windows 2000 advanced server cluster?

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 23 Jul 2002 08:57:58 -0700

In article <rrmqju86fpj2c0uvlb44jro87uh58h4fnj_at_4ax.com>, Axel says...

>Hello to all,
>
>con someone tell me whats the best way to have a high available Oracle database
>on W2000 platform?
>
>Is it recommended to use Windows 2000 Adcanced server cluster possibly with
>Oracle AS? Do the two mechanisms interfere (positive or negative) with each
>other?
>
>Or can someone point me to resources where I can find the answer?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Axel

Can you clarify what you mean by "Oracle AS"? I can think of two possibilities, neither of which have much to do with HA from a database perspective - 9iAS or Advanced Security. 9iAS is an application server, so it's not what you want for the database. Advanced Security is part of the database, but only a part. On W2K, high availability for an Oracle database in a cluster comes from either Real Application Clusters in 9i or Oracle Parallel Server in 8i. Both are add-on options to Oracle Enterprise Edition.

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Tue Jul 23 2002 - 10:57:58 CDT