Re: Question Regarding Hot Backups

From: Enkidu Utnapishtim <utnapishtim43NOSPAM_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 20:53:29 GMT

Chuck,

You didn't say what o/s you're working on. But for those who are working on a Unix flavor, there's an excellent GNU shell script called oraback.sh, by W. Curtis Preston et al, at http://www.storagemountain.com. It has many pluses and minuses - plus: open source; minus: open source. By that I mean, it's put together by committee ... and reflects a dozen or more coding styles. However, it does work (well, unless you're with Oracle9i, because it still relies on the 'svrmgrl' utility ... and you can't just convert to using sqlplus /nolog because many of the grep, awk, sed, etc commands have to be changed too, to handle the different output).

Because it was written by a lot of very smart people, I felt pretty confident that it covered all the bases. Of course, that was a drawback as well, because it tests and parses a lot of things we don't do at my work.

So I used it as a resource. To make sure I covered all the bases, I wrote my own shell script (much simplified ... which is not a slight on a script that covers dozens of scenarios ... just that I only use one scenario here). It performs hot backups asynchronously, copying data files in parallel.

After I wrote my script, I made sure I had all the pieces that oraback.sh had. After all, it has stood the test of lots of DBAs who ran it under different conditions.

Bottom line: if you want to know what all the "parts" of a backup are and what order you have to do them, be sure to check out this script. You might even end up doing what I did ... using it as a springboard to create your own local site-specific script.

If you just want to "get smart" about backup and recovery in general, a good book is: Oracle Backup and Recovery 101, by Kenny Smith and Stephan Haisley; 2002. Those are the Oracle Press equivalent of the popular "Dummies" books ... the ones that are red and yellow and have "101" on the spine. They're much better, in my opinion, than the red and gray Oracle Press books. Some, like the "Dummies" books, have authors who have a sense of humor about their work.

HTH,
Roger Crowley - DBA - LearningFramework